I ordered some knit rayon from Britex over the summer and this was one of my first projects to test sewing a dress with my serger. I’m quite happy with how this turned out although I think I am still learning some techniques and developing my skills.
I really like the details of this fabric and it’s fun to have something easy and comfy in the summer.
This is a StyleArc pattern and photo credit to my brother-in-law!
Last summer I started buying all my fabric online due to the pandemic. It became challenging to understand exactly what I was buying each time… except the Liberty of London cotton – this fabric is always so nice and easy to work with.
This dress is a modified Simplicity pattern where I added a big ruffle at the bottom and gave it a side zip under the arm.
I also finished it with some leftover scraps from an old dress shirt that we converted to masks.
Thanks to my brother in law who took these great photos!! It’s every interesting to see how the different film captures the colors differently.
We recently went to a wedding and I wanted a new dress for the rehearsal dinner. It had been a while since I had to wear “real clothes” and this Carolina Herrera fabric from Mood seemed like just the right thing.
I used the Style Arc panel dress pattern to make this shift dress and I’m quite happy with how it turned out. My brother in law was nice enough to take some photos while I was in Chicago too!
I had a nice matching blue fabric scrap that I could use for bias tape to finish the sleeves and neckline too.
The week started off with a linen dress with flamingos. This is a dress that I made last summer during the pandemic. This dress is a simplicity pattern that I modified to have a button up front.
Next is the same version of the dress but with a back zipper and I beaded the neckline.
Next outfit was a blouse that I made as a knock off of a jcrew top and some shorts (a pandemic project).
This poodle dress is a Carolina Herrera silk with sketches of her poodle.
This next top is proof that not everything online is great. I really like the design of this – I added a row of beads between layers of the ruffle. That said – the fabric is awful. It’s very scratchy and tough. I tried to wear this but after about 30 min everything was digging into my skin and I put on a tank top instead.
We went on a walk in a nearby park over the weekend and I enjoyed wearing this new tennis skirt. It’s purposefully pleated so that the front has a non pleated section.
This next dress has a fun ribbon print and I beaded little geometric squares to make it a bit fancier.
We also played tennis and I tested out a second new tennis skirt! This was made with scraps from an old project.
Last but not least – here’s some fiddle head ferns and ramps from our local farmer’s market! Yummy!
Alright it’s week two of MeMadeMay and here’s a roundup!
First, I recently made this rayon knit peony dress with fabric from Britex (a San Francisco store I used to visit in person) This is a dress pattern from StyleArc
Next I used some chambray from a local Jersey City fabric store to make this StyleArc Panel dress. To are the fabric a little more interesting I embroidered it with intersecting lines – inspired by the Japanese Sashiko embroidery technique.
From here I had made this top last year. When we originally went to Chicago for the start of the pandemic we only brought winter clothes. We ended up staying with family for so long I made some summer clothes and this was from fabric I ordered from Spoonflower. I like the print but I honestly don’t like the cotton very much -it is not very soft. The skirt used to be a dress but the top got old so I cut it off and made a skirt.
Next is this ruffle top that I traced from the style of a jcrew shirt. This is also a 2020 pandemic project. Fabric is cotton from Joanns
Next is the rayon panel dress from MoodFabrics that I recently competed. This is a StyleArc pattern.
On Saturday I wore a Liberty of London cotton voile dress that has a gathered neckline (self drafted technically, also basically a bag). Also a homemade mask from Joanns. This is me getting my second covid vaccine! Yay! I am lucky and thankful.
This brings us to today – I did not feel that great today so I technically broke my memade streak and only wore old store bought pajamas and a Blackdome t-shirt from my grandpa. I did finish these curtains that I had been working on to add a little privacy to our den.
This was a hard project!! I ordered a brocade from MoodFarbics and I really like the way they turned out. That said – I’ve never made something THIS BIG before. It was a lot of fabric and the execution had to be pretty spot on so they would hang okay. I ended up sewing the bottom and tops by hand so that I could control the fabric. When I tried with my machine, the fabric was pulled around and they became uneven. This also involved a lot of precise measuring. That said, I am happy with how they turned out and now I am going to make even BIGGER ones for our bedroom window.
It’s Me Made May! I’m going to try and wear clothing I made all month – at least one peice per day!
Here’s how it’s going so far!
Leggings for tennis on May 1
May 2 – this blue cotton dress on a walk to get the mail
May 3 A linen dress with fabric my mom and I bought in Vancouver
May 4 a Liberty of London dress I made last summer during the height of the pandemic
May 5 kind funny but the same print -just in yellow instead of purple -bought many years apart!
May 6 a beta fish top I sewed during the pandemic
May 7 my ULTIMATE house dress. Fabric from a small local shop in NJ. I also make this new relaxed denim blazer for work. To make it a bit more fun I made a Mulan patch and sewed it on the back -i love the original movie so much after so many years. This is from the scene where she wipes off half her makeup in the reflection of a pond.