First off, Happy Mother’s day!! I am so thankful for everything my mom has taught me and all the time she took to help and support me with anything throughout my life. This includes learning how to thread a sewing machine!
I decided to sew the cotton flower print/polka dot dress first which I’ll finish with the pom pom trim.
And here is the progress I made on day 1 (pics below)
I ironed and laid out the fabric pieces. I’m going to use a combo of the top I made for my mom with the skirt from my pattern class. I modified the skirt patter slightly by making it more of a flare.
After cutting out the pieces, it was time to start sewing the bodice. After completing the front panels, I played around with some button selection. Is it too much if these are all different pinks, yellows, greens, and blues? I think I like it.
On the back panel, I accidentally sewed a french seam on the wrong side. They are so tricky and I always sew at least one inside out!!!
Here is a close up on the two seams. The ruffle one that faces us on the left should look like the one on the right:
I was able to cruise through this project pretty quickly and I made it through the collar, sleeves, and skirt. Up next I will attach the skirt to the top, consider adding this yellow trim of pom poms, and sew all the button holes.
There is A LOT going on with this dress already. I am thinking twice about the bright yellow trim. I just don’t want this to be too crazy and it already feels like a Dad’s hawaii vacation shirt meets Easter acid trip…