First off – thanks for all the laundry tips and comiserating with me! It seems like we have all been there in terms of destroying things in the laundry 🙂
Today is a great day because it’s time to start sewing this project. I can’t wait to see it come together!
Starting off… I took a nap and woke up feeling so so…
Feeling better at 8pm start
Making the plackets and sewing some stay stitching to strengthen the neckline. Turns out this fabric has stretch O.o maybe the fabric name evil squares was accurate after all…
Then it was pocket time
Then it was back panel time
Time is 9:00 and I need to take a small break. It’s weird to write online but frankly my stomach feels so so 😦 I am going to lie down on the couch briefly.
10:00pm Now I finished talking to my parents on the phone and it’s time to start sewing again!
I attached the front panels to the back shoulder and it’s looking pretty good for line alignment. This is definitely a more unusual fabric for a dress shirt and the stretch is making it a little different and I have to be extra careful not to pull on the fabric otherwise I’ll get wavy seams.
From here… something started to go wrong. The strings started catching within the machine. I would go about 2 stitches forward while I was trying to make the collar and suddenly everything would lock up! The needle string would be too tight for the machine to pull anymore.
I opened up the bottom part and tried to double check the bottom thread and it still had issues… it was time to go deeper.
I unscrewed the floor of the machine and it was obvious I hadn’t cleaned this before.
I then realized I could take out the bobbin holder and there was more dust and thread fluff to clean there too.
After passing the string around a few times it seemed like things were maybe working again so I put everything back in place…
(Metal part added back too)
SNAG! It happened again!
End time 10:50
Research time starts 10:55
Trying to Google and learn what is going on. This video has the scariest intro and most “outside the norm” of any sewing YouTube video I’ve ever seen. Shout out to for. This is the most technical video I’ve ever seen.
This video was helpful but does not describe my issue.
I think I basically have an issue with the bobbin not releasing the thread.
This random shopping website has some details about the timing and at least a good explanation of the issue.
Time for bed 11:37pm
Total sewing time today: 2 hrs
Research time: 40 min
Total sewing time: 3hr 10 min (I will not count research time into this project because I really want to understand how much time the pattern takes)