My office is having a 1920’s theme holiday party this year and at first I thought I would wear a dress that was “close enough” but I’m starting to rethink how much fun it could be to make a more traditional 1920’s outfit.
I have a few ideas… but for now, I started out by diving into my scrap pile to find a velvet from our Halloween Pirate coats.
I decided to make a test pattern out of paper and then I also made a muslin since I had some leftovers from my Chanel jacket.
This was my first hat and I think I really enjoyed making it. I feel like I may be able to make one or two more that could be a little more modern and really nice for winter.
Normally, I feel like I have a pretty big head, but if I make the hat myself, then no one can tell!
I had a few extra scraps of silk charmeuse and the black art-deco square brocade which I was able to use to cover a few buttons, make a ribbon, and the little fan flourish.
Here’s the inside incase that is interesting to you too:
Stay tuned for the rest of the outfit. This will be an interesting project to balance with the Chanel jacket. So far, I think they will balance each other out quite nicely. I’m trying to take making the Chanel jacket rather seriously and it should be quite tailored, whereas the dress I have in mind will be very loose and simple.
More fun to come!