I purchased a neat navy stretch fabric from moodfabrics.com and combined it with a very stretchy jersey from our local FS Fabrics to make another tennis dress.
This time, I put the pocket on the left side and it was much easier to hold the racquet in my dominant hand and then pull balls in and out with my left hand. This took a little more time to plan and double check while sewing but it was worth it to figure it out.
I dont know a great way to show off pockets yet but I’ll get there.
Some friends across the country have received their masks too!
It’s been a really long time since I’ve posted anything but I’ve definitely been sewing up a storm.
Here is a collection of friends and family in masks and some other projects like some mending, a shirt for my dad, some shorts, a scrunchie, a mask for a high school mascot, and other odds and ends. I think I’ve now made close to 120 masks. I also made a purple dress and matching shirt for D. I will follow up with photos of that.
More recently I have finally started to try and sew stretch fabrics using a serger. These machines use 3 or 4 needles and “loopers” to make an interlocking stitch that can stretch a lot. It was hard at first to but I figured out I didn’t have part of the machine lined up correctly and then it got a lot easier. (The pressure foot should be down when sewing!)
Now I’m going to be able to make lots of activewear for tennis. This isn’t too bad at all in my books for a first try!
There are little shorts sewn in under the skirt too. Another major feature of this skirt is that I tried to add a pocket. Most women tennis skirts do not have pockets and you just shove the ball up the leg of your pants. I haven’t played tennis long enough to not think that’s weird still. I watch the pros and all the people put the ball up their pants. This is not the most beautiful pocket but I am going to keep working on this to find a way to make it work.
Well, this post has become a real accumulation of the events of the past few weeks, starting at the end of February.
I had a work trip to San Francisco at the time for a conference and before I left I started to get worried about being on the plane with possible covid19 exposure. The morning before the flight, I dipped into my fabric stash and pulled out a really cute swatch of cotton from Tokyo. I then took to bra straps from an old bra and cut them up to make elastics. Last, I used a really soft cotton flannel from mood as the liner. Ta da my first mask was born.
From here, I sent a text to my mom to ask if this made any sense or if I would just be causing public alarm. She called me back and explained since this isn’t medical grade fabric I couldn’t necessarily rely on it to keep the virus out. I felt a little silly but brought it with me and didn’t wear it because I didn’t feel sick.
From there I returned home and things started to get more intense. Out of an abundance of caution I went to our local F+S Fabrics and picked up some elastic and quilting fabric. I figured if we didn’t have medical grade fabric it could still be nice to have something for a worst case situation. From here we then moved on to mask style 2. And 2.5. At first I had the elastic sewn in like you see below but then I started to run out. With the elastics I tried to make them reusable with button side attachment and a more custom fit.
Honestly these elastics really hurt our ears. I didn’t buy enough of it originally to give us more slack.
That has brought us to mask style 3 and the new advice that now we should actually wear these in public all the time. I started to add these ties and now I’m making them for a friend who is a doctor and trying to make enough for our family such that if someone gets sick we will be able to have enough to take care of them for a few days with some washing. I have made a few for local family and it is pretty weird that this is something that I’m able to do and it’s considered helping.
And here’s a math mask for my math guy 🙂 (Britex fabrics)
These are heading out west to a friend that’s a doctor.