Red Shorts part 3 – Finished!

We left off with the welt pockets!

This new technique was interesting. I’m not sure if it lead to a better finished project like I thought it would. See below for the final inner lining and final look!

Continue reading “Red Shorts part 3 – Finished!”

Red Shorts part 2

It was time to do the fly and start the welt pockets! (With a new technique)

Click through to read more

Continue reading “Red Shorts part 2”

New Summer Shorts

D liked the blue cotton shorts so much so we decided to make him another pair. He really likes red so this cotton from Joanns seemed like it would be great.

See below for all the details!

Continue reading “New Summer Shorts”

It was 95 degrees in my house – time to sew some fleece pjs lol

Well, the AC was broken and while we waited for the repair man I needed something to do. I had already watched the whole second season (excluding the finale) of Big Little Lies and the Fencing World Championships stopped streaming from Budapest by 3pm ish too. It was so hot but we had to stay in the house until the repairman came. I didn’t want to do dishes but I was tired of being on the couch.

With a fan blasting at me, I decided it would be relatively easy to make a pair of PJs I had promised D since our last trip to Joanns.

I used a Vogue V8988 pattern as a base but straightened the legs and extended the waist to make room for a fold over drawstring waistband.

See below for the process and final project!

Continue reading “It was 95 degrees in my house – time to sew some fleece pjs lol”

Finished Blue Squares!

I forgot to post a picture of this finished shirt!

Everything came together well and I added some bright red buttons to complete the look. D was interested in something colorful and he looks nice!

The graphical lines of this fabric turned out pretty cool.

Part 5: Blue Squares continue!

Today I’m going to try and alternate between 1hr of sewing and then 1 hr of chores and by the end of the day I’ll hopefully have completed a lot of both!

I started with kicking off some chores and going through my closet to pick out old clothes that I can donate because I’m just now wearing them anymore. I have a nice pile to send to Goodwill. I also pulled aside a few pieces that I’m going to try and remake into something new!

10:30am time to start sewing! First I will tackle the plackets for the sleeves. These are something that I’ve definitely gotten much better at over time.

Similar to a welt pocket this is something that you flip around a cut in the fabric
Here it is flipped through with the inner side sewn down. From here I just have to sew the main outer part. This creates the gap in the arm hole that you can use to roll up your sleeves.
All done! Also – this fabric is officially too random to have a hope of matching the lines. These squares go in different angles all over the place.
I then added the pleats in the sleeves too

11:45 stop and break for chores and lunch and life things… until 4:36pm start sewing again!

At this point, it was time to attach the sleeves to the body of the shirt. I decided to do all of this with french seams which means all of the raw edges will be tucked away within the seam. I think this leads to the garment lasting longer and also being the most comfortable.

This edge of the inner arm becomes the inside of the arm seam. Remember always sew the wrong sides together first so that you can flip it inside out to finish the shirt seam next! (I’ve learned this the hard way lol)
Here is the finished arm hole!
And full sleeve. Also a peek in the corner at my new red ink peckled working shirt

5:26 break to cook dinner with the eventual shirt receiver 🙂

8:00 start! It was time to do the cuffs. Oh boy they are always a hurdle because it feels like you’re so close to being done but they require quite a bit of sewing in the tight space at the end of the sleeve. Going slow is key! I think I’ve learned I sew pretty slowly. No lead foot here.

Haha I didn’t even really take pictures of doing this lol. I think I’ve taken photos for other shirts in the past.

Last for now I hemmed the bottom of the shirt and here’s what we’re looking at as of 10:00pm:

I will do the buttons soon and this shirt will be done!

Total sewing today: approx 4hrs today

Total project time: 8hrs 40 min

Part 4: Sewing Jam Investigation & Solution! Blue Square Shirt continues!

After all of the research last night to try and fix my machine, I woke up with some new knowledge but still uncertain of what was going wrong.

Of course this is the project I’m trying to time too lol

9:35am start – I watched this very interesting video about fixing the timing of the inside of the machine.

Inspired, I went to look at my machine and play around…

Dun dun duhh!!!!

O.M.G. this little guy at the top had lost it’s thread!

Here it is fixed:

I think this means that there wasn’t enough tension on the top string to pull the string on the bottom off the shuttle. This may have been causing the double-loop-underneath situation.

Next time, I will rethread the top of this machine sooner in the investigation process.

It’s interesting to know how everything works now!

9:57am – it’s sewing time!!

Yay! This collar is going to look so nice!

11:20am: time to take a break for tennis, lunch, grocery shopping, unfortunately dishes, & some baking ahead of visiting friends.

Hanging out with friend was awesome! I may actually have a future sewing buddy! Stay tuned for possible updates there in the future.

Sewing time today 1.5 hrs

Total project time: 4 hrs 40 min