I ordered some knit rayon from Britex over the summer and this was one of my first projects to test sewing a dress with my serger. I’m quite happy with how this turned out although I think I am still learning some techniques and developing my skills.
I really like the details of this fabric and it’s fun to have something easy and comfy in the summer.
This is a StyleArc pattern and photo credit to my brother-in-law!
The week started off with a linen dress with flamingos. This is a dress that I made last summer during the pandemic. This dress is a simplicity pattern that I modified to have a button up front.
Next is the same version of the dress but with a back zipper and I beaded the neckline.
Next outfit was a blouse that I made as a knock off of a jcrew top and some shorts (a pandemic project).
This poodle dress is a Carolina Herrera silk with sketches of her poodle.
This next top is proof that not everything online is great. I really like the design of this – I added a row of beads between layers of the ruffle. That said – the fabric is awful. It’s very scratchy and tough. I tried to wear this but after about 30 min everything was digging into my skin and I put on a tank top instead.
We went on a walk in a nearby park over the weekend and I enjoyed wearing this new tennis skirt. It’s purposefully pleated so that the front has a non pleated section.
This next dress has a fun ribbon print and I beaded little geometric squares to make it a bit fancier.
We also played tennis and I tested out a second new tennis skirt! This was made with scraps from an old project.
Last but not least – here’s some fiddle head ferns and ramps from our local farmer’s market! Yummy!
It’s Me Made May! I’m going to try and wear clothing I made all month – at least one peice per day!
Here’s how it’s going so far!
Leggings for tennis on May 1
May 2 – this blue cotton dress on a walk to get the mail
May 3 A linen dress with fabric my mom and I bought in Vancouver
May 4 a Liberty of London dress I made last summer during the height of the pandemic
May 5 kind funny but the same print -just in yellow instead of purple -bought many years apart!
May 6 a beta fish top I sewed during the pandemic
May 7 my ULTIMATE house dress. Fabric from a small local shop in NJ. I also make this new relaxed denim blazer for work. To make it a bit more fun I made a Mulan patch and sewed it on the back -i love the original movie so much after so many years. This is from the scene where she wipes off half her makeup in the reflection of a pond.
I bought a really nice cotton Liberty of London print for my mom from Britex in San Francisco. She wanted some pajamas and I thought it would be a fun project!
I have started using some online patterns and so I decided to try the Closet Core Caroline Pajama pattern. These had a few options and I kind of did a hybrid of their pants with piping but then I cut the pieces to be shorts and short sleeves.
Another thing I finally started to do was add interfacing when the directions call for it. Interfacing is a second fabric layer that can be ironed on or sewn to your outer fabric and it adds a level of sturdiness and structure to the outfit. In this picture below you can see the white fabric getting iron on.
I realized I didn’t take any in progress shots. Well… this was actually a pretty complicated pattern so I was definitely focusing!
The shirt and shorts both have a golden bias tape that I used as piping. This was really interesting because you basically tuck the piping into the area where you’d normally sew a seam such that when you flip it out it appears from within the seam. This was pretty technically challenging and in hindsight using a metallic fabric was also pretty unforgiving since it catches the light. I am still very happy with how these turned out!
Here are the shorts -they have a fake fly, pockets, and elastic waistband.
Here is the shirt! This was a very interesting collar. The shoulders are finished with a flat-felled seam and other seams are french seams. Buttons are from Britex too.
Here’s the inside so you can see the interfacing and inner seams:
This was a fun project that arrived safely through the mail!
I move around when I work and I love to listen to podcasts while I sew. I found that not all of my clothes have pockets or useful holders for all my most used tools. I could try cleaning my working space… or I could strap them to my body!
My cellphone fits in the long pocket and you can see the headphone wire coming out. I also keep my stitch clippers in the top pocket.
You can really see the stitch of the serger here. I used it to finish each square and then I just sewed it onto the backing. This made this a super quick project.
I also made another stocking for a friend who is having their first Christmas in a new town.
We’re staying in our home for Christmas this year and so we realized we didn’t have some basics –
It was time to make stockings!
These were honestly pretty easy – all from old scraps from our pirate Halloween costumes, a dress, and a dress shirt. Makes our apartment feel a little more cheery even though we’ll certainly miss our families this year.
We hope everyone continues to be as well as possible ♡
I had some leftover fabric from some old projects and I decided to make a new casual blazer.
This pattern is from a cool Canadian brand called Helen’s Closet.
This was fun! I used a series of sewing techniques to complete this. The sleeves are finished with a blind hem, the collar is prick stitched, and I hand finished the back hem. The inside is mostly serged.