We had brunch with friends today and I knew I wanted to be able to wear this in the spring weather and to my final class. This morning I decided that the skirt wasn’t hanging right and so I tore out the seams on both sides all the way to the hip and I re-measured and took in the sides to further taper the skirt. I was listening to a podcast and I kept making one more fix…and one more fix… Suddenly our train was leaving the station in 30 min and I hadn’t showered! Thankfully I had just finished the last last adjustment and we rushed through getting ready and headed out the door. We made it to lunch and after I jumped on the train to class.
All week I had also been trying to figure out what to try to use to design in my final pattern class…
This was the first Gandini fabric I ever purchased from Mood.It’s a really neat sturdy woven cotton that breathes really nicely and doesn’t wrinkle too much even after a day at work. Once I saw it in Mood, I kept thinking about it because the print is pretty unique and the fabric felt so nice. It’s sold in panels and this was the first time I bought one of those. When I started to try and figure out what I wanted to make with it… Continue reading “Gandini Posey Skirt”→
It gets pretty cold here in winter and I wanted something to be warm, comfortable, nice looking, and unique for work. I found a really neat thick wool at mood and made this skirt. It’s great for a cold windy day!
One day, a major goal will be to learn to make clothes with linings. For now, I just wear a slip under this, but eventually, I’d like to be able to add a lining as well.
Today is a very special pattern class. First we are going to make the back bodice and then we’re heading to a friend’s wedding! I am lucky I get to squeeze both in!
I did not want to wear my wedding clothes to class so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to take the Les Claypool skirt out for a spin! I got quite a few compliments and one salesperson at Mood recognized it. The shirt & coat are not homemade… yet. (I also need to find a way to take this type of picture and not look like a instagram obsessed person)
I have been trying to sew a new bodice at home using fabric from a store I discovered in my neighborhood! They had lots of interesting prints and good deals. I picked up some cotton I could use to test my bodice pattern block. So far, it’s coming out too big again. I think I am cutting way too big of a seam allowance. I will try to learn in class.
Post class update:
Class was fun! We actually went through different steps to make the back of the bodice compared to the front. I need to ask next time why. I am really glad that they give us all the notes because this means that I’ll get to repeat it in the future.
At the end of class I took my pattern from last weekend and laid it out ontop of the new one. They match pretty close!! Its interesting to see that the class one is slightly wider and had a much deeper shoulder angle.
Below is a picture of the new dress using my homemade back bodice pattern. This was taken in a ton so it will be great to see how this compares to the version completely made via instructions in class.
I think I may make one new dress shirt for D in the meantime… he tore an old store bought shirt the other day so it would be nice to give him a replacement.
So there’s room to improve my first try at pattern design, but I don’t want to blame my pattern block… I think I may have accidentally cut too much extra fabric for the hem and seams because it was originally quite wide. Either way, I slowly but surely took in the skirt once I tried on the first version.
I think I did the zipper quite well! It should lay nice and flat. Next time I think I will move on to invisible zippers. Those will be even a little nicer.
I used the new binding technique on the top waistline so that it lays nice and flat. I really like it and I will be sure to thank the man that gave me that tip!
Looking forward to making a matching bodice! In the meantime this skirt will be great for spring!