A Blouse for my Mom – Finished!

Here is the final project! My mom picked out this fabric at Mood and I made her a dress shirt.

Here’s what it looked like when I started to complete the collar:

Continue reading “A Blouse for my Mom – Finished!”

A shirt for my mom!

It’s been quite a while since my mom and I picked out this fabric at Mood but it’s finally time to make her a nice shirt! Which buttons would you choose?

Continue reading “A shirt for my mom!”

Pattern Class 6: My own design & the complete Les Claypool Outfit

Ta da! Bodice and skirt together!! Thanks Mood University!

We had brunch with friends today and I knew I wanted to be able to wear this in the spring weather and to my final class. This morning I decided that the skirt wasn’t hanging right and so I tore out the seams on both sides all the way to the hip and I re-measured and took in the sides to further taper the skirt. I was listening to a podcast and I kept making one more fix…and one more fix… Suddenly our train was leaving the station in 30 min and I hadn’t showered! Thankfully I had just finished the last last adjustment and we rushed through getting ready and headed out the door. We made it to lunch and after I jumped on the train to class.

All week I had also been trying to figure out what to try to use to design in my final pattern class…

Continue reading “Pattern Class 6: My own design & the complete Les Claypool Outfit”

Pattern Class 5: Terrifying (& Exciting) Pattern Modifications for the Best Fit!

So as mentioned in the last Pattern Class 5 summary, my bodice had some gapey arm holes and it had to be adjusted further!

At first I tried low risk (and ineffective) solutions by trying to take in the sides at some angles to get rid of some of the fabric. After a few tries, it was time to use the techniques we learned in class – why did I wait?

Continue reading “Pattern Class 5: Terrifying (& Exciting) Pattern Modifications for the Best Fit!”

Anna Sui – My first try at women’s sleeves!

This was a really fun fabric I found around the same time that I discovered the dark green wool. We had raided Joann’s and I was looking for some additional fabrics at Mood to test out the new patterns!

This was a really nice silk that at first I wanted to turn into a dress, but I figured it could be useful to make a few separates. I started out with a shirt pattern, that I think might be a little too big, and I dropped down the hem in the back so that I could wear it with leggings in the cover-your-butt style. It will be nice to be able to get all of the shoulder measurements right (or at least closer) after a few more sessions in the pattern making class.

Also, a close up on the placket as this blouse is designed with more vintage buttons from one of my grandmothers.

Pattern Class 5

In class five we learned all about pattern modifications. This was great! It was so neat to have everything we learned in the previous class pull together and then build on it.

It was very interesting to…

Continue reading “Pattern Class 5”

Pattern making Class 4: testing the bodice pattern

I’ve started to sew the bodice based on the MoodU bodice blocks. I’m using the same Carolina Hererra 2012 Mushroom Print fabric.

As I started to sew it together…

Continue reading “Pattern making Class 4: testing the bodice pattern”