I’ve been doing a bit of sewing and experimenting with rayon fabrics. Rayon is a cool/breathable summer fabric. That said due to the pandemic, I’ve had to order everything online which makes picking out fabric feel like russian roulette. I don’t have nearly enough knowledge to really understand what I’m getting before it shows up and I can actually touch it.
With that in mind – this rayon fabric was a bit of a surprise. It was way more drapey than I expected. I decided to turn it into a cute loose summer dress.
This fabric has a repeating print with a distinct edge and you call this a panel. I tried my best to position the peices nicely and cut them so that it would be symmetrical. In order to achieve this, I cut the fabric “flat” instead of “on the fold”. Normally you can lay out the fabric and fold it in half to get two of each piece -but by laying the fabric flat and cutting individually you can have more control of lining up each piece.
For this dress, I used the StyleArc Pixie Dress pattern. I really like StyleArc patterns, I think they fit well and have accurate sizing. That said -the directions are pretty hard core. They usually only include one or two pages of mostly text and very few pictures so you really have to have an idea of what you’re doing already. I don’t think I could have used them immediately as a beginner but now I do love only needing to look at one page of instructions the whole time.
I bought a really nice cotton Liberty of London print for my mom from Britex in San Francisco. She wanted some pajamas and I thought it would be a fun project!
I have started using some online patterns and so I decided to try the Closet Core Caroline Pajama pattern. These had a few options and I kind of did a hybrid of their pants with piping but then I cut the pieces to be shorts and short sleeves.
Another thing I finally started to do was add interfacing when the directions call for it. Interfacing is a second fabric layer that can be ironed on or sewn to your outer fabric and it adds a level of sturdiness and structure to the outfit. In this picture below you can see the white fabric getting iron on.
I realized I didn’t take any in progress shots. Well… this was actually a pretty complicated pattern so I was definitely focusing!
The shirt and shorts both have a golden bias tape that I used as piping. This was really interesting because you basically tuck the piping into the area where you’d normally sew a seam such that when you flip it out it appears from within the seam. This was pretty technically challenging and in hindsight using a metallic fabric was also pretty unforgiving since it catches the light. I am still very happy with how these turned out!
Here are the shorts -they have a fake fly, pockets, and elastic waistband.
Here is the shirt! This was a very interesting collar. The shoulders are finished with a flat-felled seam and other seams are french seams. Buttons are from Britex too.
Here’s the inside so you can see the interfacing and inner seams:
This was a fun project that arrived safely through the mail!
I move around when I work and I love to listen to podcasts while I sew. I found that not all of my clothes have pockets or useful holders for all my most used tools. I could try cleaning my working space… or I could strap them to my body!
My cellphone fits in the long pocket and you can see the headphone wire coming out. I also keep my stitch clippers in the top pocket.
You can really see the stitch of the serger here. I used it to finish each square and then I just sewed it onto the backing. This made this a super quick project.
I also made another stocking for a friend who is having their first Christmas in a new town.
We’re staying in our home for Christmas this year and so we realized we didn’t have some basics –
It was time to make stockings!
These were honestly pretty easy – all from old scraps from our pirate Halloween costumes, a dress, and a dress shirt. Makes our apartment feel a little more cheery even though we’ll certainly miss our families this year.
We hope everyone continues to be as well as possible ♡
My husband is teaching in person this year at his high-school and so he needed some new pants – ontop of PPE.
I was nervous about this project because this fabric was a little “shifty” so I was concerned about it not draping well. Turns out it was not as challenging as I expected and I’m pretty happy with the final look!
I had some leftover fabric from some old projects and I decided to make a new casual blazer.
This pattern is from a cool Canadian brand called Helen’s Closet.
This was fun! I used a series of sewing techniques to complete this. The sleeves are finished with a blind hem, the collar is prick stitched, and I hand finished the back hem. The inside is mostly serged.
I purchased a neat navy stretch fabric from moodfabrics.com and combined it with a very stretchy jersey from our local FS Fabrics to make another tennis dress.
This time, I put the pocket on the left side and it was much easier to hold the racquet in my dominant hand and then pull balls in and out with my left hand. This took a little more time to plan and double check while sewing but it was worth it to figure it out.
I dont know a great way to show off pockets yet but I’ll get there.
Some friends across the country have received their masks too!