Today I was slightly late to class at Mood U due to wrapping up a project at work but what can you do?
I still managed to get caught up on what I missed and learned how to lay out the fabric properly (fold on the rib of the fabric!) And then lay down the pattern pieces and cut them out.
The tape measure got a few comments from the teachers in class! It is vintage from my grandmother and they though it was really cool! 🙂
I also learned that apparently I don’t own fabric scissors… I’ve been using paper scissors on everything. I will try to borrow some fabric scissors next time to learn about what I’m maybe missing.
The jersey I’m using shrunk when I washed it so I had to flip one of the fabric pieces to make it all fit. I also ran out of fabric so this will be sleeveless. Since I’m going to miss the last two classes it’s probably better if I have a little less to sew.
Everyone in class is super nice so this continues to be really fun. 🙂 Next week we start sewing! Can’t wait!
I’ve now finished Mood U Knit Class day 1! It was really fun!
We will be learning techniques to sew knit fabrics with zig zag stitches and other techniques. I really look forward to learning these techniques.
We picked out a pattern, identified our size, and went and picked out our fabric.
My neighborhood friend was working and he helped me find a good one! He works with stretch fabrics a lot so his advice was greatly appreciated.
It will be interesting to see what we learn next week. I am really looking forward to it.
It was the same teachers as last time (Ben and Sandro) but this time the class is much smaller – only 6 of us. This is pretty cool because it means we’ll hopefully get a lot of advice.
I am also continuing to make lots of progress with my Tambour embroidery
Ta da! Bodice and skirt together!! Thanks Mood University!
We had brunch with friends today and I knew I wanted to be able to wear this in the spring weather and to my final class. This morning I decided that the skirt wasn’t hanging right and so I tore out the seams on both sides all the way to the hip and I re-measured and took in the sides to further taper the skirt. I was listening to a podcast and I kept making one more fix…and one more fix… Suddenly our train was leaving the station in 30 min and I hadn’t showered! Thankfully I had just finished the last last adjustment and we rushed through getting ready and headed out the door. We made it to lunch and after I jumped on the train to class.
All week I had also been trying to figure out what to try to use to design in my final pattern class…
Continue reading “Pattern Class 6: My own design & the complete Les Claypool Outfit”
In class five we learned all about pattern modifications. This was great! It was so neat to have everything we learned in the previous class pull together and then build on it.
It was very interesting to…
Continue reading “Pattern Class 5”
I’ve started to sew the bodice based on the MoodU bodice blocks. I’m using the same Carolina Hererra 2012 Mushroom Print fabric.
As I started to sew it together…
Continue reading “Pattern making Class 4: testing the bodice pattern”
Today was a great day! We bundled up and headed into the city for brunch with friends. D wore his blue pants and they looked great with a dress shirt and sweater. I wore my Jason Wu gathered skirt (post scheduled to come out on the 19th… so this is a preview)
The food was quite good and it was fun to see friends.
I made it to class on time again and got to speak with the tall man. He inherited a bunch of fabric from his mom and it was pretty neat to hear about a skirt he’s making for his daughter. I also got to sit by my original measurement buddy and it was really nice to catch up!
In class we went through all the steps to make a pattern for a front bodice. It was definitely more complicated than the skirt and it involved a bunch of interesting measurements and angles.
After we made the bust pleat there was a small point on the outer side seam where we dropped the length another half inch. This was similar to the last class where we added an inch to the top of the skirt. This basically makes the fabric appear to lye parallel to the horizon when you’re wearing it.
We will finish the arm hole next week once we finish the shoulder on the back of the bodice.
After class I asked permission from the professor to post his website here! His name is Banjamin Mach and he’s super nice! In the MoodU classes you can clearly tell he knows what he’s doing. I told him that I was watching his project runway season and he seemed to think that was cool. It was interesting to hear a little of the behind the scenes of the show. I am really looking forward to next week. I think I will wait for the bodice back to be done before I try to sew it. Although, I kind of want to see if I could guess how to make the back based on the measurements we learned today for the front… maybe that’s a project for tomorrow!
This class is totally worthwhile and I would recommend it to everyone. I am looking forward to seeing what is available next. I heard they are thinking of an advanced class that could handle collars and other details like that… that could be quite cool!