My loud scrap busting sewing continues with the poodle top!
This was the leftovers of the blue squares blouse that was too loud… and I think I’ve transformed it into something else that is also… kind of loud
Here’s where we left off. I was finalizing the fit and it was SO MANY poodles!
This peplum used only a forward facing pleat and not a box pleat. That made it have a little less volume as a box pleat includes two pleats that face in toward each other.
From here, I sewed on the peplum and decided to drop the neckline into a v-neck. I think this makes the outfit a little less busy.
This also inspired me (who are we kidding? D totally said I should just make this) to make a basic black pencil skirt. I used the skirt block we developed at Mood U. That pattern is the ULTIMATE pencil skirt and I’m so happy with it.
I am so proud of D! One night we were talking and I asked if he would ever want to try to see how it worked and he agreed that it could be cool.
With that in mind, last night I started to make the poodle peplum to expand further my Carolina Herrera print wardrobe. At first I was working on all the bodice seams for the front and back panels. It then became time to attach them at the shoulder and when I looked at the very straight seam it occurred to me that D could do it!
I grabbed him from the other room and picked up a scrap of I folded in half. From there I showed him how the presser foot went down and then how to hand crack a few stitches forward. I also briefly lifted up the fabric to show how the shuttle circled around to pick up the thread. From there, it was pedal time! He did a great job going forward and then we backstitch a little!
It was time to try again on the final pass on the french seam! I had already sewn the inner seam and so we flipped it inside out and d sewed it down!! I’m so proud of him! See below for more bodice pictures.
After working through a series of fabrics that I had accumulated in my summer fabric pile (the podcast I listen to calls it a fabric collection) I felt like I had gotten to a place where I could think about some transitional pieces for fall and winter and try to make some nicer work dresses with sleeves. I got a few things at mood… stay tuned.
First though, I also wanted to make a few more basic work tops that I could match with all of my skirts and continue to use all of my fabric as resourcefully as possible.
I try to bring some balance to my sewing with this approach too. So if I buy new fabric, I need to make sure I’ve used most of the earlier stuff. Similarly, I try to keep an eye on old fabrics and see if there are cute projects I can use for the leftovers.
A while ago, I had discovered that my blue poodle Carolina Herrera fabric seemed to match the blue squares. I had said I’d make a top. Before I dig into my new fabrics, I decided I needed to make this top so that I still had time to wear it in the summer. From there, I could make another blouse with something new.
The wedding day was lovely! We looked at the small crabs, clams, and hermit crabs in the tidal pools and I wore my retropom pom 50’s dress.From there we headed to the local farmer’s market and bought some local jams. It was then time to get ready for the ceremony and I decided to wear my mushroom outfit.
The ceremony was beautiful and my cousin wore the veil I had made. She looked so beautiful and it was wonderful to see her and her husband so happy together. Stay tuned for more pictures once I get access to my mom’s photos 🙂Everything about the wedding was beautiful and there was a really cool gigantic long table that looked out onto the small bay.What a fun day to celebrate with family!
Well I’m starting to feel pretty confident about whipping up these skirts 🙂
The fabric has some stretch so I did not add any beading after all because I was worried it might tear out. This is still a fun skirt and it worked well for a training spring day. It should be nice as it started to get warmer too!
After my last pattern making class I quickly picked up the mushroom print for my Les Claypol dress and at the same time I saw a cotton version of the Carolina Herrera poodle print that I had used to make a silk shift dress a few years ago. I get so many compliments on that dress and it was a part of my most NYC experience when the designer of the fabric said hi to me on the street. I did not buy the fabric on Saturday but I kept thinking about it and on Monday after work I stopped by and picked it up. I am hoping to turn this into some cute shorts. I think this could be an interesting substitute for denim and still kind of match a lot of clothes.
Also… I saw this other colorful cotton voile. I think this could make a really nice A Line summer dress. I found the pom pom trim upstairs and I think this will help make the dress really nice and unique. I haven’t sewn in a trim on a dress before and I think this will be an interesting skill to develop and make some of my standard work reach a new level of complexity and unique detail.
Stay tuned! & let me know in the comments if you have recommendations!
We had brunch with friends today and I knew I wanted to be able to wear this in the spring weather and to my final class. This morning I decided that the skirt wasn’t hanging right and so I tore out the seams on both sides all the way to the hip and I re-measured and took in the sides to further taper the skirt. I was listening to a podcast and I kept making one more fix…and one more fix… Suddenly our train was leaving the station in 30 min and I hadn’t showered! Thankfully I had just finished the last last adjustment and we rushed through getting ready and headed out the door. We made it to lunch and after I jumped on the train to class.
All week I had also been trying to figure out what to try to use to design in my final pattern class…