We met again and finished cutting out the pattern and started to sew!
We explained all the details like the graineline and “on the fold” symbols. From there we tested the tension of the machine and started to sew the first pocket in the side panel!
We finished it with french seams! We are going to finish the second pocket separately and get together to work on the bodice.
Also, there was a moment where her machine jammed and she mentioned it was getting really tight in the bobbin area. I looked at the bobbin, then looked at the top thread holder that moves up and down. The string had popped out of there!! Just like my epic sewing jam of the past. I fixed it like a pro and tried to explain how I only new how to do that after so much research when it happened to me in the past.
While I am also working on this Simplicity dress with my friend, I wanted to understand the fit of this pattern better before we completed the project. I hope that this will let her have the most positive experience and not be discouraged by any type of fit issue.
With that in mind! It seemed like a great pattern to use for the linen I picked up in Vancouver at Atex Fabrics.
I cut this fabric perpendicular to the graneline so that I could take advantage of the floral ombre effect.
From here – it was sewing time! This pattern is actually quite nice and pretty easy. I had never sewn with linen before and the weave of this fabric was definitely looser. This meant there was some chances to get wavy seams and cutting straight lines was a bit odd a challenge too. Through lots of pinning and pressing I managed to still make it through pretty quickly.
Next time, I may make this dress in an even lighter silk or a wintery fabric! Or crop it into a top! I liked this first version.
Here was a process picture pretty far in where I was double checking the fit ahead of finishing the french seams.
There was one other REVOLUTIONARY element of this project. I finally cut my bias tape for finishing the arms… on the bias. This has always seemed so wasteful to not use straight strips of fabric bit I realized I was starting to get wobbly necklines because the bias tape didn’t have enough give and stretch… I know it’s so obvious… this turns out to be one sewing corner you should not cut. The more you know!
Recently my downstairs neighbor visited and brought her sewing machine! She has a heavy duty singer and it will be exciting to work through this project together. She made a t shirt quilt in the past but now it seems like she’s really interested in starting to be able to make tops for herself that will fit better than store bought. I am so excited to help support this!!!
Today we picked out a simplicity pattern and took our measurements. We are going to make this dress (one each)
From there we cut out the pattern and copied it because I’m a slightly bigger size. Copying took a while!!!! Oh man. This is always the slow part but she hung in like a trooper.
We will work on it a little next weekend and chip away bit by bit. Stay tuned!
I really enjoyed this because this was one of the first times I’ve been able to think about everything I know and try to explain some of my decision making based on things I learned in the past. It was really fun! We may try knitting in the future too. So much fun!
The wedding day was lovely! We looked at the small crabs, clams, and hermit crabs in the tidal pools and I wore my retropom pom 50’s dress.From there we headed to the local farmer’s market and bought some local jams. It was then time to get ready for the ceremony and I decided to wear my mushroom outfit.
The ceremony was beautiful and my cousin wore the veil I had made. She looked so beautiful and it was wonderful to see her and her husband so happy together. Stay tuned for more pictures once I get access to my mom’s photos 🙂Everything about the wedding was beautiful and there was a really cool gigantic long table that looked out onto the small bay.What a fun day to celebrate with family!
I’ve been a little busier in the evenings than I expected and so it’s taken me a little while to finish up the last pieces of this dress.Over one night, I sewed all of the button holes and this was not the easiest feat because each one was a different size. It wasn’t hard, but I was just very careful about keeping each button in order so that the sizes could be matched to the right size hole. I have a special button hole sewing foot that holds the button to make the exact size and so thankfully this is pretty easy to get right. Sometimes, I’ve noticed if I’m sewing thicker sections of fabric, it can be tougher for the foot to move over some sections. Sometimes that makes the hole a little funny. I only had one of those in this shirt so for now I’ll take it :)On night 2 I was able to sew the corresponding buttons in place and cut open the button holes. At the end of the night I was able to try it on and I pinned the additional pom pom trim in place. I actually think it looks better with the trim!! It’s exciting to feel like my gut and initial idea was right all along. The remaining question will still be whether I also add the trim to the sleeves. I am going to wait until the bottom is done before I officially determine if I should do the arms too.I am thinking I will finish this in my next session. Read below to see the final dress! Continue reading “Pom Pom Dress Part 3 of 3 + Finished Pictures!”→