A Covid Dress

Last summer I started buying all my fabric online due to the pandemic. It became challenging to understand exactly what I was buying each time… except the Liberty of London cotton – this fabric is always so nice and easy to work with.

This dress is a modified Simplicity pattern where I added a big ruffle at the bottom and gave it a side zip under the arm.

I also finished it with some leftover scraps from an old dress shirt that we converted to masks.

Thanks to my brother in law who took these great photos!! It’s every interesting to see how the different film captures the colors differently.

MeMadeMay 2021 week 2

Alright it’s week two of MeMadeMay and here’s a roundup!

First, I recently made this rayon knit peony dress with fabric from Britex (a San Francisco store I used to visit in person) This is a dress pattern from StyleArc

Next I used some chambray from a local Jersey City fabric store to make this StyleArc Panel dress. To are the fabric a little more interesting I embroidered it with intersecting lines – inspired by the Japanese Sashiko embroidery technique.

From here I had made this top last year. When we originally went to Chicago for the start of the pandemic we only brought winter clothes. We ended up staying with family for so long I made some summer clothes and this was from fabric I ordered from Spoonflower. I like the print but I honestly don’t like the cotton very much -it is not very soft. The skirt used to be a dress but the top got old so I cut it off and made a skirt.

Next is this ruffle top that I traced from the style of a jcrew shirt. This is also a 2020 pandemic project. Fabric is cotton from Joanns

Next is the rayon panel dress from MoodFabrics that I recently competed. This is a StyleArc pattern.

On Saturday I wore a Liberty of London cotton voile dress that has a gathered neckline (self drafted technically, also basically a bag). Also a homemade mask from Joanns. This is me getting my second covid vaccine! Yay! I am lucky and thankful.

This brings us to today – I did not feel that great today so I technically broke my memade streak and only wore old store bought pajamas and a Blackdome t-shirt from my grandpa. I did finish these curtains that I had been working on to add a little privacy to our den.

This was a hard project!! I ordered a brocade from MoodFarbics and I really like the way they turned out. That said – I’ve never made something THIS BIG before. It was a lot of fabric and the execution had to be pretty spot on so they would hang okay. I ended up sewing the bottom and tops by hand so that I could control the fabric. When I tried with my machine, the fabric was pulled around and they became uneven. This also involved a lot of precise measuring. That said, I am happy with how they turned out and now I am going to make even BIGGER ones for our bedroom window.

PJS for Family

Hot off making some pajamas for my mom I decided to order some more Liberty fabric and make some more.

I made the Carolyn pajamas for my Nana. She wears night gowns so I modified the top to be a dress.

I really like how these turned out! She wears a lot of yellow and I heard the fit was good even though we only did it based on measurements over the phone.

Still working on some more projects that I will hopefully share soon!

Liberty Pajamas for my Mom!

I bought a really nice cotton Liberty of London print for my mom from Britex in San Francisco. She wanted some pajamas and I thought it would be a fun project!

I have started using some online patterns and so I decided to try the Closet Core Caroline Pajama pattern. These had a few options and I kind of did a hybrid of their pants with piping but then I cut the pieces to be shorts and short sleeves.

Another thing I finally started to do was add interfacing when the directions call for it. Interfacing is a second fabric layer that can be ironed on or sewn to your outer fabric and it adds a level of sturdiness and structure to the outfit. In this picture below you can see the white fabric getting iron on.

I realized I didn’t take any in progress shots. Well… this was actually a pretty complicated pattern so I was definitely focusing!

The shirt and shorts both have a golden bias tape that I used as piping. This was really interesting because you basically tuck the piping into the area where you’d normally sew a seam such that when you flip it out it appears from within the seam. This was pretty technically challenging and in hindsight using a metallic fabric was also pretty unforgiving since it catches the light. I am still very happy with how these turned out!

Here are the shorts -they have a fake fly, pockets, and elastic waistband.

Here is the shirt! This was a very interesting collar. The shoulders are finished with a flat-felled seam and other seams are french seams. Buttons are from Britex too.

Here’s the inside so you can see the interfacing and inner seams:

This was a fun project that arrived safely through the mail!