Memorial Day Dress

I hope everyone had a nice holiday!  I have had this summery linen from Britex fabrics in San Francisco in my fabric collection for a long time.

It was finally time to turn it into something fun! 

This dress is one of my favorite simplicity patterns and it is super easy to make! I started sewing Sunday night and this was ready in time for our hamburger bbq on Monday!

I dont have any more zippers with me so I cut the front in half and added an extra inch to create a panel for a button closure.  I swear the bottom lines up but its hanging open in this photo.

The side has a nice gathered feature that I like.

The back has a big solid panel that is quite nice to highlight this print.

It was a really nice day and it was nice to have something summery to wear.

Sewing with Friends part 3 – the Gathering!

Today we met up and finished our second pockets and joined the skirt to the side bodice panels!!

This fabric was a bit tricky since both sides looks the same… we both had moments where we put something together backwards but it’s all been fixed really easily!

These dresses are turning out great!!

Next time we will complete the front panels and back zipper. From there we may or may not be able to also finish the arms and neckline.

Till next time!

Red Shorts part 2

It was time to do the fly and start the welt pockets! (With a new technique)

Click through to read more

Continue reading “Red Shorts part 2”

New Summer Shorts

D liked the blue cotton shorts so much so we decided to make him another pair. He really likes red so this cotton from Joanns seemed like it would be great.

See below for all the details!

Continue reading “New Summer Shorts”

The Vancouver Dress – Finished Project!

While I am also working on this Simplicity dress with my friend, I wanted to understand the fit of this pattern better before we completed the project. I hope that this will let her have the most positive experience and not be discouraged by any type of fit issue.

With that in mind! It seemed like a great pattern to use for the linen I picked up in Vancouver at Atex Fabrics.

I cut this fabric perpendicular to the graneline so that I could take advantage of the floral ombre effect.

From here – it was sewing time! This pattern is actually quite nice and pretty easy. I had never sewn with linen before and the weave of this fabric was definitely looser. This meant there was some chances to get wavy seams and cutting straight lines was a bit odd a challenge too. Through lots of pinning and pressing I managed to still make it through pretty quickly.

Mmmm side gather…

Next time, I may make this dress in an even lighter silk or a wintery fabric! Or crop it into a top! I liked this first version.

Here was a process picture pretty far in where I was double checking the fit ahead of finishing the french seams.

I think the ombre makes this looks really nice!

There was one other REVOLUTIONARY element of this project. I finally cut my bias tape for finishing the arms… on the bias. This has always seemed so wasteful to not use straight strips of fabric bit I realized I was starting to get wobbly necklines because the bias tape didn’t have enough give and stretch… I know it’s so obvious… this turns out to be one sewing corner you should not cut. The more you know!

Ta da! The Vancouver dress!

With pockets!