Alright it’s week two of MeMadeMay and here’s a roundup!
First, I recently made this rayon knit peony dress with fabric from Britex (a San Francisco store I used to visit in person) This is a dress pattern from StyleArc
Next I used some chambray from a local Jersey City fabric store to make this StyleArc Panel dress. To are the fabric a little more interesting I embroidered it with intersecting lines – inspired by the Japanese Sashiko embroidery technique.
From here I had made this top last year. When we originally went to Chicago for the start of the pandemic we only brought winter clothes. We ended up staying with family for so long I made some summer clothes and this was from fabric I ordered from Spoonflower. I like the print but I honestly don’t like the cotton very much -it is not very soft. The skirt used to be a dress but the top got old so I cut it off and made a skirt.
Next is this ruffle top that I traced from the style of a jcrew shirt. This is also a 2020 pandemic project. Fabric is cotton from Joanns
Next is the rayon panel dress from MoodFabrics that I recently competed. This is a StyleArc pattern.
On Saturday I wore a Liberty of London cotton voile dress that has a gathered neckline (self drafted technically, also basically a bag). Also a homemade mask from Joanns. This is me getting my second covid vaccine! Yay! I am lucky and thankful.
This brings us to today – I did not feel that great today so I technically broke my memade streak and only wore old store bought pajamas and a Blackdome t-shirt from my grandpa. I did finish these curtains that I had been working on to add a little privacy to our den.
This was a hard project!! I ordered a brocade from MoodFarbics and I really like the way they turned out. That said – I’ve never made something THIS BIG before. It was a lot of fabric and the execution had to be pretty spot on so they would hang okay. I ended up sewing the bottom and tops by hand so that I could control the fabric. When I tried with my machine, the fabric was pulled around and they became uneven. This also involved a lot of precise measuring. That said, I am happy with how they turned out and now I am going to make even BIGGER ones for our bedroom window.
I purchased a neat navy stretch fabric from moodfabrics.com and combined it with a very stretchy jersey from our local FS Fabrics to make another tennis dress.
This time, I put the pocket on the left side and it was much easier to hold the racquet in my dominant hand and then pull balls in and out with my left hand. This took a little more time to plan and double check while sewing but it was worth it to figure it out.
I dont know a great way to show off pockets yet but I’ll get there.
Some friends across the country have received their masks too!
It’s been a really long time since I’ve posted anything but I’ve definitely been sewing up a storm.
Here is a collection of friends and family in masks and some other projects like some mending, a shirt for my dad, some shorts, a scrunchie, a mask for a high school mascot, and other odds and ends. I think I’ve now made close to 120 masks. I also made a purple dress and matching shirt for D. I will follow up with photos of that.
More recently I have finally started to try and sew stretch fabrics using a serger. These machines use 3 or 4 needles and “loopers” to make an interlocking stitch that can stretch a lot. It was hard at first to but I figured out I didn’t have part of the machine lined up correctly and then it got a lot easier. (The pressure foot should be down when sewing!)
Now I’m going to be able to make lots of activewear for tennis. This isn’t too bad at all in my books for a first try!
There are little shorts sewn in under the skirt too. Another major feature of this skirt is that I tried to add a pocket. Most women tennis skirts do not have pockets and you just shove the ball up the leg of your pants. I haven’t played tennis long enough to not think that’s weird still. I watch the pros and all the people put the ball up their pants. This is not the most beautiful pocket but I am going to keep working on this to find a way to make it work.