I ordered some knit rayon from Britex over the summer and this was one of my first projects to test sewing a dress with my serger. I’m quite happy with how this turned out although I think I am still learning some techniques and developing my skills.
I really like the details of this fabric and it’s fun to have something easy and comfy in the summer.
This is a StyleArc pattern and photo credit to my brother-in-law!
I’ve been doing a bit of sewing and experimenting with rayon fabrics. Rayon is a cool/breathable summer fabric. That said due to the pandemic, I’ve had to order everything online which makes picking out fabric feel like russian roulette. I don’t have nearly enough knowledge to really understand what I’m getting before it shows up and I can actually touch it.
With that in mind – this rayon fabric was a bit of a surprise. It was way more drapey than I expected. I decided to turn it into a cute loose summer dress.
This fabric has a repeating print with a distinct edge and you call this a panel. I tried my best to position the peices nicely and cut them so that it would be symmetrical. In order to achieve this, I cut the fabric “flat” instead of “on the fold”. Normally you can lay out the fabric and fold it in half to get two of each piece -but by laying the fabric flat and cutting individually you can have more control of lining up each piece.
For this dress, I used the StyleArc Pixie Dress pattern. I really like StyleArc patterns, I think they fit well and have accurate sizing. That said -the directions are pretty hard core. They usually only include one or two pages of mostly text and very few pictures so you really have to have an idea of what you’re doing already. I don’t think I could have used them immediately as a beginner but now I do love only needing to look at one page of instructions the whole time.
I had some leftover fabric from some old projects and I decided to make a new casual blazer.
This pattern is from a cool Canadian brand called Helen’s Closet.
This was fun! I used a series of sewing techniques to complete this. The sleeves are finished with a blind hem, the collar is prick stitched, and I hand finished the back hem. The inside is mostly serged.
I purchased a neat navy stretch fabric from moodfabrics.com and combined it with a very stretchy jersey from our local FS Fabrics to make another tennis dress.
This time, I put the pocket on the left side and it was much easier to hold the racquet in my dominant hand and then pull balls in and out with my left hand. This took a little more time to plan and double check while sewing but it was worth it to figure it out.
I dont know a great way to show off pockets yet but I’ll get there.
Some friends across the country have received their masks too!
It’s been a really long time since I’ve posted anything but I’ve definitely been sewing up a storm.
Here is a collection of friends and family in masks and some other projects like some mending, a shirt for my dad, some shorts, a scrunchie, a mask for a high school mascot, and other odds and ends. I think I’ve now made close to 120 masks. I also made a purple dress and matching shirt for D. I will follow up with photos of that.
More recently I have finally started to try and sew stretch fabrics using a serger. These machines use 3 or 4 needles and “loopers” to make an interlocking stitch that can stretch a lot. It was hard at first to but I figured out I didn’t have part of the machine lined up correctly and then it got a lot easier. (The pressure foot should be down when sewing!)
Now I’m going to be able to make lots of activewear for tennis. This isn’t too bad at all in my books for a first try!
There are little shorts sewn in under the skirt too. Another major feature of this skirt is that I tried to add a pocket. Most women tennis skirts do not have pockets and you just shove the ball up the leg of your pants. I haven’t played tennis long enough to not think that’s weird still. I watch the pros and all the people put the ball up their pants. This is not the most beautiful pocket but I am going to keep working on this to find a way to make it work.