Well I pinned and pinned and hand sewed away and then before I knew it all the fringe was in place and one of my best friends was willing to join me to party it up!
I finished the bottom hem of the dress with a hand rolled stitch. Overall this dress included: machine sewing french seams on the sides, machine sewing bias trim finished neckline and arm holes, hand stitched fringe, and hand rolled hem!
I think this is the first evening dress I’ve ever made and it is possibly my best work yet.
I got a bunch of compliments at the party and it was so fun! To make the night even better my plus one was my best friend from third grade!!
The party was super fun and you can really tell because almost none of these are official sewing pictures. I actually put my outfit on in the morning to try and get a few pictures that show the details better. Those are the ones where my hair is not combed lol
Here is a morning video:
Also my jewelry for the night – an old juicy couture pearl and chain necklace and an alexis bittar fox pendant!
Happy holidays! Now it’s time to start working on my chanel jacket again.
Did I post this already? Not sure what is going on. Either way… here’s an update on my 1920s outfit!
I flew back from San Francisco on a red eye and got in on Saturday – I had to do something to stay awake all day, so why not go fabric shopping to start my 1920’s dress? The weather was horrible on Sunday too so Saturday was a perfect time to go to the city and explore a bit!
D came with me and first we got lunch at Cafe China. It was pretty good and cute. We got Dan Dan noodles, wontons, and cumin lamb. Next time we may order a few things we saw other people order lol – there was a really good looking lobster, pepper chicken, and beef shortribs. yummm
Back to sewing! After lunch we went to Mood! It is always fun and we got to say hi to George. We then went to the wool section and got a theory fabric which will become a nice pair of pants one day.
I also picked up a black silk charmuse and a black silk georgette with a 4 inch fringe trim! I studied a bunch of dresses online and decided to make a flapper shift dress.
Here’s the plan:
I will make this with french seams.
Update: I forgot to post this… so here’s how the rest of the project went!
I made the slip! And then I tried to make the sheer outer layer to hang wider over it… but it didn’t look that good. I decided to sew the fringe onto the charmuse and call it a day.
Turns out -this is hard to do!
The fringe is really static-y and heavy and so it started to be very challenging to keep in place. I finally started pinning it everywhere!! And this started to work.
A friend at work is getting married and I have discovered that I really LOVE sewing accessories for weddings. It’s a neat way to contribute something and also help friends easily save a lot of money.
For my friend, in her fittings they found a cute beaded belt but it was over $100. At work we talked about it and I mentioned that we just needed to go to Mood and we could probably find and make something similar for much less.
We went on an initial exploration trip and it was so fun for her to see all the fabrics and trims! From there we went back a little while later and picked out a favorite and some ribbon to use for the ties.
With this selected, I took it home and hand stitched the mesh back behind the beads. I then attached the ribbons, used glitter nail polish to prevent the edges from fraying, and embroidered a little message about the bride and her sister that will receive this belt.
I have room to improve that last bit some but it will be hidden so who cares? 🙂
I also made this little bag out of some silk chiffon scraps so that it can be a nice gift. I put the logo on in case I’m famous one day Haha
I can’t wait to see photos of her big day! She has a very nice fiance and I’m genuinely just happy for her.
With the presidential debates starting and a few other shows on tv (the bachelorette) – sometimes you have to find a couch project.
I still have two panels of this Anna Sui silk and I love it so much.
As I’ve started to make scarves, my ability to make narrower and narrower seams has definitely improved. I really enjoy this stitch and I’ve gotten much faster at it.
Here is my attempt to diagram this stitch (drawn while on the train to work lol) blue and grey are thread. White is the folded fabric. Yellow is the needle.
Start by folding the edge of the fabric over towards the inside of the panel. The final hem will be half the width of this initial fold. As you get better, you can make this narrower. It may change depending on the texture of your fabric too. From here, dip the needle into the panel right at the edge of the folded fabric. Pick up 3 or so threads. This is shown in grey in the diagram. Then move to the top of the folded edge and dip into the tube created by the folded edge. Pass the needle about 4 millimeters or a 3/8 of an inch in the tube before popping out. Then try to move to the same exact length of the hem on the lower side of the fabric. Dip in for a few stitches and repeat! After doing about 7 to 10 of these slowly pull the thread while holding the edge of the fabric near the first stitch. All the stitches will start to tighten and pull the top of the fabric down to the lower edge- locking the raw edge in place!! Keep going all the way around the panel and enjoy!!