I purchased a neat navy stretch fabric from moodfabrics.com and combined it with a very stretchy jersey from our local FS Fabrics to make another tennis dress.
This time, I put the pocket on the left side and it was much easier to hold the racquet in my dominant hand and then pull balls in and out with my left hand. This took a little more time to plan and double check while sewing but it was worth it to figure it out.
I dont know a great way to show off pockets yet but I’ll get there.
Some friends across the country have received their masks too!
I made this over the weekend and didn’t take any in-process pictures. Oops… this is another version of the Vancouver Dress (although I acquired the Simplicity pattern in Chicago).
This is one of the lates fabrics I got at Mood. I wanted to make a dress with a slightly more businesslike print.
It’s hard to tell but I also beaded the collar and edge of the bow with little white seed beads. (Continuing to slowly use the remainder of my wedding veil supplies)
Since I didn’t take any action pictures, let’s do another quick vocab session. At least in my understanding of sewing so far, the design on a piece of fabric is called the print. The guided paper shapes that you trace to cut the fabric is called the pattern.
Within a print, there is something called the repeat and this is how often the design on the fabric copies itself across the whole piece. These can be direct copies or they can be put on slightly staggered placements to make it harder to tell the shapes are repeating. Another neat type of fabric which I use for scarves all the time is a panel. This is a single square or rectangle in which all the elements of the print design are tucked inside and it usually has a clear border. You have to be more careful with pattern placement.
It’s all fun stuff!
I made this dress so quickly, I am thinking I want to try and add some challenging pattern modifications to my next outfit. I want to keep improving my techniques.
Well, the AC was broken and while we waited for the repair man I needed something to do. I had already watched the whole second season (excluding the finale) of Big Little Lies and the Fencing World Championships stopped streaming from Budapest by 3pm ish too. It was so hot but we had to stay in the house until the repairman came. I didn’t want to do dishes but I was tired of being on the couch.
With a fan blasting at me, I decided it would be relatively easy to make a pair of PJs I had promised D since our last trip to Joanns.
I used a Vogue V8988 pattern as a base but straightened the legs and extended the waist to make room for a fold over drawstring waistband.
We met again and finished cutting out the pattern and started to sew!
We explained all the details like the graineline and “on the fold” symbols. From there we tested the tension of the machine and started to sew the first pocket in the side panel!
We finished it with french seams! We are going to finish the second pocket separately and get together to work on the bodice.
Also, there was a moment where her machine jammed and she mentioned it was getting really tight in the bobbin area. I looked at the bobbin, then looked at the top thread holder that moves up and down. The string had popped out of there!! Just like my epic sewing jam of the past. I fixed it like a pro and tried to explain how I only new how to do that after so much research when it happened to me in the past.
While I am also working on this Simplicity dress with my friend, I wanted to understand the fit of this pattern better before we completed the project. I hope that this will let her have the most positive experience and not be discouraged by any type of fit issue.
With that in mind! It seemed like a great pattern to use for the linen I picked up in Vancouver at Atex Fabrics.
I cut this fabric perpendicular to the graneline so that I could take advantage of the floral ombre effect.
From here – it was sewing time! This pattern is actually quite nice and pretty easy. I had never sewn with linen before and the weave of this fabric was definitely looser. This meant there was some chances to get wavy seams and cutting straight lines was a bit odd a challenge too. Through lots of pinning and pressing I managed to still make it through pretty quickly.
Next time, I may make this dress in an even lighter silk or a wintery fabric! Or crop it into a top! I liked this first version.
Here was a process picture pretty far in where I was double checking the fit ahead of finishing the french seams.
There was one other REVOLUTIONARY element of this project. I finally cut my bias tape for finishing the arms… on the bias. This has always seemed so wasteful to not use straight strips of fabric bit I realized I was starting to get wobbly necklines because the bias tape didn’t have enough give and stretch… I know it’s so obvious… this turns out to be one sewing corner you should not cut. The more you know!
Recently my downstairs neighbor visited and brought her sewing machine! She has a heavy duty singer and it will be exciting to work through this project together. She made a t shirt quilt in the past but now it seems like she’s really interested in starting to be able to make tops for herself that will fit better than store bought. I am so excited to help support this!!!
Today we picked out a simplicity pattern and took our measurements. We are going to make this dress (one each)
From there we cut out the pattern and copied it because I’m a slightly bigger size. Copying took a while!!!! Oh man. This is always the slow part but she hung in like a trooper.
We will work on it a little next weekend and chip away bit by bit. Stay tuned!
I really enjoyed this because this was one of the first times I’ve been able to think about everything I know and try to explain some of my decision making based on things I learned in the past. It was really fun! We may try knitting in the future too. So much fun!