Halloween 2019 Process & Finished Look

I had a wonderful day going to Mood and picking out my fabric for my One Punch Man outfit. It was my first morning officially between jobs and it was wonderful!

I ran into my friend at Mood and he knew the show and was very excited about my costume choice! He saw me when I was getting about 5 yards of yellow cotton and we talked about the best fabric for the gloves and cape. I ended up picking out a polyester stretch fabric for the cape and a thicker jersey for the gloves so that they will hopefully stay on. I will also make some covers for my boots to make them red too.

I’ve realized my zipper should technically be silver but I’m going to have fun with this and not sweat the details that much.

I have combined three patterns to try and do this – D’s vogue pants pattern, and two butterick shirts.

I am not planning to do fancy seam finishes because I just have other stuff to do… like make cardboard robot arms for D

As the week progressed, I continued to chip away at this outfit. There are many pieces and the fit is actually a little complicated because the shirt has to attach directly to the pants!!

First, I made the jumpsuit which I think means I have officially made my first pair of pants for myself!  I then attached the shirt very carefully and then cut out the proper facing for the neckline.

The polyester seemed like it could be tricky so I decided to prick stitch this whole thing. I am actually getting better at this technique and I like the way it looks.

From there it was cape, gloves, and shoe cover time!!!

The cape was pretty easy – but gloves are tricky!!!! I did it “Thanksgiving Turkey” style but at first I actually made the fingers too narrow and had to re sew them. It was an interesting learning experience.

The shoe covers were also pretty easy -my own original idea! I made a tube for my legs and then a flappy circle with another half circle sewn on the bottom. This covered the tops of my shoes but my heels and middle sole of the shoe were exposed so I would still have some traction on the ground.

From here… it was robot armour time for D! This was made the day of the party and I basically took some of the ideas of samurai armour that we saw in the Tokyo Samurai museum and some cosplay googling to make this out of old amazon boxes we stored up and some acrylic paint. Here is the mess that was left behind:

In the final minutes of getting really to leave to the party – the bald cap was NOT working. It was too hard to put on and seemed like it would get hot. D as the continuous source of supportive sanity told me to tear it off before it was too late. I took his advice and did not look back!

Here’s the final look!

One person at the party recognized us LOL but I did not do this for the fame, this costume is exclusively for myself based on the joy that show brings me. D later pointed out that that is truly the most One Punch Man style costume possible hahaha. I did receive many nice compliments about the details and sewing. It was a really fun night and great to see friends!

Happy Halloween!!!!

Green Square Dress with Bias Detail – Finished!

Here’s my next dress for fall:

After the navy dress, I felt a little hesitation starting this dress. I wanted to make a style that would be unique and push my design skills a little.

I had also been inspired by some of the Dries van Noten dresses which had panels which hung down past the hem. As I made the dress, I also decided to do it without sleeves so I can layer it over a turtle neck.

It was fun to put this together and the fabric is SO SOFT!

I also made sure I used the direction of the stripe threads to make the fabric face the same way throughout the outfit.

First I made a normal dress with a standard back zipper. From there, I played around with the plaacement of the front panel. To add flexibility to the fabric and give it a looser drape, I cut it on the bias (diagonal)

Ta Da!

D is becoming a very good sewing-photo-husband

Last but not least, a great friend was in town from Saskatchewan and we got lunch! Afterward the Equine Immersion Program was having an even called Trail to Zero with NYC police officers and veterans to raise awareness and help prevent veteran suicides. They were riding 20 miles through the city because every day approximately 20 veterans across the country die by suicide. It was very neat to see them have such a unique event and it was great to talk to the people involved.

Also featured – the Tokyo purse
There were probably 30 horses total!

It was a great day! Now it’s time to kick off the process for a few new back to school dress shirts. Stay tuned!

Red Shorts part 2

It was time to do the fly and start the welt pockets! (With a new technique)

Click through to read more

Continue reading “Red Shorts part 2”

Challenges

Well here I go posting about accepting challenges in sewing and here I am with tons of examples with this latest project. Read on to see a huge list of things that ideally won’t be repeated:

Continue reading “Challenges”